Saturday, November 01, 2008

Promises of a Future and a Hope - Part 1

The past few weeks have been interesting. Try and keep up.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. - Jeremiah 29:11 (NLT)

My grandma from my mother's side has been living with us for the past few years. She has always been a blessing to me. She was a kind hearted 91 year old woman who closely resembled the Proverbs 31 woman that all Godly men desire. She was also very generous; there were times when I would be on the computer playing a game and she would walk by and just drop a $20 bill, say she loved me and went to her room. My jaw is still hanging to the ground to this day because of her random acts of lovingkindness. She prayed too. Not just for herself but others above her ownself mainly. When she said she would pray for something I know I could take it to the bank. She also always had the nicest things to say. Every morning she would compliment me on the color of my shirt, my hair or my peanut butter and jelly sandwich lol.

A few weeks before New York came the Lord was ministering to my heart and mind. He was indicating to me that I would lose him while I was in New York on the SWAT trip. I tried not to think much of it but only a few days before I had to leave for New York she had to go to the hospital for some various things. I wanted to visit her before I left for New York so the Wednesday afternoon (day before) we were to leave, I visited her in the hospital with my mom. She was struggling and looked weak and frail until she looked up at us. The biggest smile came across her face and I'm not sure how to explain it but I saw Jesus in her big beautiful blue eyes. She was happy to see us and I was really happy to see her while I still could. We sat and talked for an hour. Then I asked her how she came to know Jesus. That story maybe one for another blog, but she basically 'found' Jesus by studying and became a witness to her unsaved family. She led them all to the Lord, what an amazing testimony.

So I left for New York reflecting on our last time together. And while I was in New York I kept waiting for that text. I kept waiting for that text that was going to confirm what I already knew. Interestingly Aaron Adame prayed (at some point) during the SWAT trip that noone would receive any ill news of any kind. And I didn't. So I figured that when I would physically return home I would get the news that my mom was keeping from me.

After I arrived home I found my mom wandering around the house. The news was that grandma was actually in the hospital and was coming home the next day. She would be under hospice care at the home. A day or so later I went in to see her. She was physically deteriorating; she had a machine helping her breathe and looked much more frail. But those eyes... still so full of Jesus and the word she said were filled with love. The first thing she asked me was how my trip went. Even in the state of being she was, she put others first.

Saturday night I was blessed with leading SWAT witnessing. I just finished up having a really good 25 minute conversation with two guys who were skeptical about Christianity and had lots of legitimate questions when I got the text. It read that Grandma passed away about 5-10 minutes ago.

There is more. You can find it here.

No comments: